I had some sad news today. A friend at work is looking after someone who is dying. She is an old lady who has lived a full life and now she has decided its enough, she is tired and is slipping away, she has days left. It is sad but happy, she ready to go and my friend is making sure she gets to go how she wants, at home in her own bed.
Death is a funny thing.
Sometimes we know its going to happen and sometimes it takes us by surprise.
It happens to us all. at some point or other.
It reminds me that life is precious and we need to make the most of our lives. It does not mean we have to become headonists because living life to the full is not just about the pursuit of pleasure. Life is not measured by who you are but by what you have done.
I have lots and lots of happy memories. My life with my partner. our children as they have grown up. I try and do my best at work, to do a good job. I work in public service so am not working to make lots of money. I work in public service because I believe in what public service does. my friends are very important to me, although I do not get to spend enough time with them.
I am very lucky. I have a good life. I wish that more of my family were still alive to share it with me, but I cannot change that. Their time had come.
just as it is now Mary's time to go,
Sorry for the melancholy post, I do think that it is important to reflect and think about what we have and what is important to us. Before its to late.
1 comment:
I'm helping one of my tutor group to come to terms with the fact that his Grandma died last Thursday. He's a lovely 15 year old boy - but is struggling to find the words to say what he's feeling.
Fortunately I don't have to do this sort of thing very often - but it always makes me appreciate those around just a little bit more
Post a Comment