Brief Encounter.
The film is so far removed from its simple description....
"Meeting a stranger in a railway station, a woman is tempted to cheat on her husband".
"I love you, Laura. I shall love you until the end of my life. I can't look at you now cause I know something. I know that this is the beginning of the end. Not the end of my loving you but the end of our being together. But not quite yet, darling. Please. Not quite yet. "
I can just get lost in the film, 86 minutes of wonderful middle class repression.
There is no sex, no violence, no special effects.
Only 8 main actors with another 5 uncredited (including Irene Handl, who was the gran in Metal Mickey)
Penned by Noel Coward with wonderful acting by Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard.
It has tension, intrigue, passion, humour and sadness.
People are divided about the ending, I think it is happy a happy ending, Laura and Alec have the perfect romance, it will never go sour, it will never wither, Love is easy but marriages are hard work. Both are married and have children. If they had made the break from their partners it would never have been the same.
The last words from Fred (Laura's husband) are lovely.
"You've been a long way away.
Thank you for coming back to me."

No comments:
Post a Comment