I do not always observe lent but this year I am.
I am going to give up shopping!!!!! It would be to easy to give up alcohol as I seldom drink, I can give or take chocolate so will naturally go for weeks without any same with crisps, biscuits and other snack food.
Shopping will be a real struggle. I love shopping. Especially if I am getting a bargain!
I will still be buying food as I cannot expect myself and my family go on a 40 day fast. However, I will not be buying any clothes, shoes, bags, hats, jewellery, ornaments, books, magazines, newspaper's etc. I will not be visiting any antiques shops, markets, charity shops, department stores, ebay, etsy, and so on.....
If we don't need to eat it or need it to clean the house, clothes or ourselves it won't be coming into the house!
Obviously if something blow's up then it may need to be replaced if it is an essential! Otherwise, no shopping.
Why, put myself through this torture!
I have had a few experiences in the past month of meeting people who have nothing or very little, people who due to the changes in the way that benefits are being dealt with that they have no money for food. It makes my spending seem very frivolous and indulgent. I will spend time thinking about people who cannot go shopping. Not just people in this country but people all over the world who spend their day's just trying to get buy, who work all day to earn enough to feed their family. People who walk half the day to collect water.
I think this is the meaning of lent to most people today, the opportunity to think about other's and their difficulties.
I know I will be tempted.........
2 comments:
Good for you! I've pledged to do without shopping too. I saw your comment on Tea and Crumpets blog and wanted to invite you to join the "Do Without" Challenge. Us shopaholics need all the help we can get!
Here's the challenge link: http://midnightmaniac.com/post3097
I hope you'll join us!
♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac
oh that's cruel... all those sale signs!! i've contemplated temporarily un-suscribing to emails for my favourite online stores as i've already got sales emails during the start of my challenge! wishing you success. :)
Post a Comment