Labels

Dogs Weekend family walking spring Birthday Vintage Sunset christmas easter love shopping Autumn Cake Friday Hospital. LSP Sunday Valentines baby's books cleaning cooking cycle soup Afternoon Tea Antiques Black and White Movies Brighton Hat Lent Photographs Roast's Scotland bedroom chocolate brownie's. cold friend fund-raising gym headache migraine presents rain sickness slow cooker. vet weekends winter Aerobics Bake Blogging Candles Cath Kidston Glasgow Global Corporate Challenge Knitting Party Sad Sewing Snow Wedding bulbs bus change cow's daffodils eastbourne fireplace. flower's food friends garden gardening geocaching gerbil holiday lambs lie Ins lunch nurse park photography pillow case pink scone sick day. stress sun tidy tree walk wine work 1940's. Hats 1945. 40 day challenge ;ove A-Z Afternoon. Austria Bank holiday Beddles Bestie Brief Encounter Bristol Bugsy Malone Cambodia Capers Charity shops Charity. Children Chintz Chris Moyles Cinema Doctor's Dreaming Dressing Up Fitness Fun GCC God Gynaecology Hen Home Jack Daniels Jackdaw Jaffa cakes Jam Job cuts. Ladybird. Laura Ashley Liberty London Marlborough Morning Moving NHS Nan PCOS Purple Purple tights Radio 4 Relatives Religion Ritz Royal Wedding Santa Saturday Selfridge's Sins. Sleep Spring Cleaning Strawberry Daiquiri Sunday Roast Tea party Temple Theatre Tyrolean Roulette Unbirthday Vietnam Views Vincent Price Wales Windsor. Woman's Weekly Zorbing adverts apple apple blossom baby. bargin bear bed. black hole blanket blogger award blue blue sky bluebells boxes breakfast bunnies butterfly's butteries cabinet. biscuit candle. swapping car boot sale cats chair charity cherry blossom chicken's. country chicken's. recipe china christmas tree circuit training classic cars cocktail comic relief cornish yarg cuddles cupcake. cushion cycle. autumn. view daisies dancing. dandelion day off days off friends. decorating dew disco dreams ducks earth hour eggs facts about me farmers market feet. fire fish flora and purl flower's. flowers food. gate genesis research trust get well give-away glass goat goats graveyard hats head. hiccup holiday's horse hot chocolate hotels indulgence kitchen last parade lemon verbena tea lemonade library lion list loft luxury magnolia manipulation massage me meat. moon mother mousetrap museum neverwhere new dress new life new year new years eve niece night nostalgia nurses oatcakes otter's outing parade pearl's pedicure pie pigeon pins postcard pudding quiet raffle rainbow reading reflection. roly poly roses scavenger hunt school play. scones security shell shoots shopping. motorbike shops sister sister. smile sneeze socks spam spoons spring. stargazing statue steps study sunglasses tagged takeaway. tea technology the 13th. frost. time tip top toast tulip's tv unicycle unremarkable urban venison walking. walks wallpaper wardrobe washing weather window winter food woods. sun. worst week

Sunday, 8 January 2012

Lamb stew and a trip to Wales.

Morning.

(these were the clouds over the garden this morning) 

We have had a busy few days. It started with a mega shop on Thursday night. This was a now rare Tesco shop. we are doing more and more shops at Aldi and Lidl, however once in a while we need to stock up on the bits and pieces that they do not sell. odd things like, my favourite shaving gel, clear recycling bags, favourite coffee etc. It also meant for a mega meat shop! they had lots of short date, lamb, pork and mince. So I made a lovely slow cooked fruity lamb stew.







 You may observe one or two strange ingredients. tomato sauce, brown sauce, cranberry sauce and rose wine.

When i make stew, it is often a chance to use things up. the wine was left over from Christmas day as was the cranberry sauce. The tomato and brown sauce were nearly used up so they were swilled out and added to the mix. we had an assortment of potato's both old and new so they were chopped and peeled and thrown in.

How did it taste?? lovely. however we have not had any yet. We gave my sister some and the rest went into the freezer for an easy meal in the week.

Friday. ahh I had a day off on Friday. I had planned to return to the loft and continue with the big clear up. Did that happen? No. I spent the morning pottering and then the afternoon shopping. lots of lovely Christmas shopping. I have bought the presents for my cousins and lots of bits and pieces for the girls for Christmas. I just love the words 70% off.  Home then mince and tatties for tea. double the amount 1/2 for us and 1/2 for the freezer. I now have to get the   presents into the loft and away from prying eyes.

Friday was also a sad day. I am a public Sector worker and the cuts are really taking effect. many of our colleagues and friends are having their posts cut and are either being made redundant or having to first interview for their own jobs. its horrific. Some of our friends found out on Friday so we were texting and messaging people to find out if they survived the cull. I still have to wait and see if the axe will fall on my team but we wont know till after April.

Saturday.
We went visiting wider family in Wales.


A lovely day to be travelling as the weather was good and the motorway was clear. I still get excited at going over the Seven Bridge, although was not happy that the toll is now £6!

It was a very busy day filled with lots of talk and chatter. We went to an Italian  for lunch. The food was nice and we got very engrossed in our conversation. We took our time over our meal, then dessert, then coffee. We got the hint that we might have overstayed our welcome when the waiter was coming over every 5 minutes to take something off the table. First the cups, then the jug of water, then the salt and pepper, then giving us the bill, then the music being turned off. We decided that we were either being ushered out or the waiter was interested in what we were saying.

By the end of the day we were tired and ready for drive home. Once again the motorway was clear.



So now its Sunday morning. I am sat with a cup of coffee and listening to the Archer's and writing this blog. Perfect. Hope you all have a nice day. x

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always nice in Wales that's why you want to stay as long as you can !!

BadPenny said...

uumm the stew looks scrummy ! I like using up things too. I usually add mustard to stews & gravy too.

moonstruckcreations said...

Always good to use up the left overs, I find the slow cooker is great for that.

Sounds like a fun weekend!

Hope all goes well with your job, its a difficult time for so many at the moment.

Helenxx

mrsnesbitt said...

hi - I too am going to join the monthly making project. I also shop in Aldi & Lidl when I can although our local Co-op has some good bargains! Nice to meet you.

Mum said...

Hi, I found your blog on a blog hop and stayed for a good read. Like you I have a lot of cookery books but tend to cook the same recipes over and over again. I also 'concoct' meals from whatever is to hand with a little bit of this and that thrown in.
Love from Mum
xx

Anonymous said...

I love the quiet and fresh country air in Wales, definitely need to make a trip around spring time.